Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss


Since the birth of Little One the wife and I have become reacquainted with the works of Dr. Seuss. Dude had some crazy talent. I mean, not everybody can make rhymes by fabricating words. Try it. It's not as easy as it looks. I'll give you a word: monkey.

Here are words that you may not use (you know, because they're real): hunky, punky, funky, junky, chunky, spunky, flunky, gunky, clunky, and crunky. (And yeah, I knew "crunky" without Googling. I'm that hip.)

So I guess you're stuck with wunky, yunky, shunky, blunky, zunky, lunky, dunky, sunky, bunky, runky, or frunky.

Okay, so maybe not that hard.

But seriously, Dr. Seuss had some awesome plots. I don't know about you, but the ending of One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish gets me every time. We're talking man tears. And what about Hop on Pop? How the little punks finally get their comeuppance? Very satisfying.

Okay, so that was kind of snarky, which, by the way, will be the only time you will ever hear me use this word that seemed to come out of nowhere and is now used with the same frequency as my local Top 40 station played "Save Tonight" from 1997 to about 2001. In fact, the only reason I use it at all is so that I can vent about what a truly awful word it is. And do you know what makes it more awful? The people who use it the most are in the publishing industry! Really, stop. Now. Cease and desist. Find a new word. Hell, make one up. It worked for Dr. Seuss.

2 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

I had never heard the word snarky til I started reading blogs!
And Dr. Seuss was the master shizaster!
Good music reference by the way...(not a fan of the song either.)

Anita said...

You know, I do love Dr. Seuss, but I get confused about which books were really written by him...for example, I love ARE YOU MY MOTHER and FLAP YOUR WINGS, but are the really written by THE MAN? Too lazy to research.

Loved you book review...you should do it for a living. Seriously...approach your local paper or something. And, by the way, I just spent an hour teaching second graders how to write reviews...I bet your class would like hearing about how you wrote yours.