Monday, October 19, 2009

Things I Like

Making this list was harder than I thought it would be. It wasn't because I had a hard time thinking of things I like (although I'm sure tomorrow I'll think of something that should be on this list), but because 1. Some of the things I like are kinda boring and I don't wish to bore you and 2. I technically like way too many things. (Foods alone would comprise a list longer than anyone would wish to read.) So I gave myself some rules. First, as for food, I only put down those foods that I really like. As in, I could eat it every day. Second, I left out some boring stuff that just about everyone likes, such as sleep and their family. Third, I was extremely selective when it came to things like songs and movies because I had to be. I'm not even that big into songs or movies, but those lists would be enormous. So, although it is not comprehensive, here, in no particular order, is my list of things I like. I look forward to reading yours.

1. Chocolate milk--store bought, please.
2. Actually finding two socks that match.
3. MSU basketball and football.
4. Tailgating
5. Picking my nose and extracting a good-size booger that I didn't even know was in there.
6. Golfing, except for the putting aspect of it.
7. Peeing when I really have to pee.
8. Pizza--the more meat the better.
9. My Adidas sandals, even if they do shed little plastic nubs all over the place.
10. Gatorade
11. Parentheses
12. Johnsonville Stadium Brats
13. "Love Story" by Taylor Swift
14. Trivia
15. Celebrity impersonators
16. Fish and chips (I prefer cod.)
17. Staying in hotels
18. Grape Kool-Aid
19. Debating
20. Superman ice cream
21. Sarcasm
22. Farting (not in public, and definitely not in the shower.)
23. Warm apple pie with ice cream
24. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream
25. Having a tan
26. The mushy stuff that sticks to my gums when eating a chocolate chip cookie
27. Summer
28. Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Beer
29. Lists
30. Being past sober, but not quite drunk
31. Bill Curtis's voice.
32. Driving (two-hour limit)
33. Newly paved roads
34. The Star Wars saga (except The Phantom Menace and any real Star Wars fan knows why)
35. Being right
36. Sneezing (limit 3)
37. The Natural
38. The airport
39. The feel of a Q-Tip in my ear (And you know what makes it even better? Knowing that the box warns be against putting it in my ear.)
40. Pringles--all varieties. There is no such thing as a bad Pringle.
41. Skittles
42. "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant"
43. Cold milk
44. The Office
45. Sharpie markers
46. Ketchup
47. The first few weeks of fall
48. When I wake up in the dark of night thinking it's almost time to get up, but then I look at the clock and see that I've still got three more hours of sleep.
49. Hoosiers
50. Snow days
51. McDonald's hot mustard sauce
52. "Breakfast in America" by Supertramp
53. The Crash Test Dummies
54. Eddie Money
55. Chicago's "Hard to Say I'm Sorry"

22 comments:

Alexandra MacVean said...

What a fun list...it was great getting to know more about another fellow blogger.

Ray Veen said...

Well done, Mr. Murphy. Like Sophia said, that was actually pretty fun to read.

(It's Jar-Jar Binks, isn't it?)

Anonymous said...

What's superman ice cream, and do you prefer the British or American Office (I love both, but I think Ricky Gervais is one of two comic geniuses left in the world (next to John Cleese)).

Paul Michael Murphy said...

@Sophia-thanks
@Ray-You got it.
@Adam--Superman Ice Cream

I've never seen the British version.

Betty (Beth) said...

Wonderful. I have to say that Peeing when you really need to and waking up and realizing you can sleep more are on my list too!

Thanks for an awesome list!

Monica said...

i don't get what's wrong with farting in the shower. You've got the good acoustics, the privacy...

Matty said...

I was just telling Sarah that you and I should hang out if for nothing else other than our shared enjoyment of debate (not Sarah's favorite part of my personality (oh, and parentheticals (within parentheticals))) and Sharpies. I can't help but grab it when I see a nice new marker, especially a new color... like silver.

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

This was incredibly helpful to me. I always think people are more alike that we realize. But thanks to your list, it's clear we're not. Sharpies...that's the only thing that links mankind. If Jimmy Carter had known that back in the day, Isreal and Palestine might be BBQ'ing together.

Lily Cate said...

Man... that McDonald's mustard sauce tastes like paint thinner, but I still have a strange affinity for it.

Unknown said...

"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry."

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Nice one, Tracy.

"Only homer I know has four bases in it."

Unknown said...

"Patch'em up, Doc!"

Okay, I'm done.

Anita said...

Are we supposed to post our list on our blogs or your blog? I know you've told me this before, but I can't remember.

It's weird, because I love some of the things on your list (for example, 7) and hate others (33). I wonder if there's a worldly lesson in that.

At the Air Force gym shower room where Husband works out, there is a sign that reads "No peeing or spitting in the shower." Perhaps they should add "farting."

My comments on your blog are longer than my posts on my blog.

MG Higgins said...

Anita, your posts are short but thought provoking.

It's true, there are no bad Pringles. The Crash Test Dummies rock. Good list. I'm not on board with the booger searching, though. (Sometimes I feel sorry for the Wife.)

Kelly Polark said...

Agreed on 1, 21, 25 (I wish it was good for you), 27, 31 (he speaks on my friend’s documentary film), 34, 39,40, 46, 47.
I have to put this list on my to do list.

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Your list goes on your blog.

And for what it's worth, I'm betting people actually read your entire posts, Anita.

My long-winded borefests get skimmed.

Anita said...

CORRECTION: I talked to Husband and it's actually "No snorting, blowing or urinating in showers."

I love MG.

PMM: I think people skim a lot of blogs, but I think your followers actually read your stuff.

Amy said...

That's a long list. How long did you work on it? Guess I'll get started on mine! And how did you like the Glass Castle, out of curiosity??

Paul Michael Murphy said...

I worked on it off and on for about a month.

I liked The Glass Castle quite a lot. People with memories like that amaze me.

Angela said...

I love reading what other people like! I also love the feeling when I see someone else's list and think, "oh man! I love that, too!"

Just for shiggles I tried to start an "I don't like list" and it wasn't nearly as fun or fulfilling. As a matter of fact, "making an 'I don't like list'" made it to #3 on said list.

Rena Jones said...

LOL @ #39 -- you rebel. I just saw Kelly's list and her blog sent me here. Fun list!