Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lesson Learned

A while back I entered a story for Writer's Digest's "Your Story" contest. And then my story was one of five selected as a finalist and I got all excited and lobbied people on the blog to go vote for it. According to the online tally, I got the most votes. But I did not win because of voting irregularities. My guess is that 1. they found out I'd lobbied for votes or 2. they discounted votes of people who'd registered and voted the same day or 3. some IP addresses voted more than once (for instance, my mom and dad both voted from the same computer; they're supportive like that) and that's against the rules.

Then I got really pissy and said some mean things about Writer's Digest and their stupid "Your Story" competition rules.

Eventually I got over that and when a prompt I liked came up I wrote a story and sent it off to them. And now it's been selected as a finalist.

So... (here's where I show I learned my lesson)

If you are already a registered member of the Writer's Digest Web site...

and if you feel like reading some stories about a magician's trick going horribly wrong at a child's birthday party...

and if you feel like voting for the best story...

then go here.

But remember, don't vote more than once, don't register just so you can vote and then never visit the site again, don't let anyone else use your computer or account to vote, and don't lobby anyone to vote for what is, obviously, the best story of the five.

And no, I'm not telling you which one that is.*

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) (Something new.)

*You'll probably figure it out on your own.

4 comments:

Heather Kelly said...

Good luck Paul. Reminded me of the whole hanging chads thing--which will forever be remembered at our house as the year that my mom was mad at the supreme court for making my brother work on Thanksgiving. (he was clerking for Justice Kennedy at the time) Hopefully, this one will end differently.

Unknown said...

Hanging chads. Haven't heard that in a long while. I'm heading over to WD to check it out and vote for "what I think is the best story." The people have spoken once in your favor, I'm sure they will again.

Anita said...

I think I was one of the "problems" last time (I voted without reading them all), so I don't know if I dare go over there now. Biting nails thinking about it (actually I'm not because that's really gross). I know you'll win!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I'll go check the situation out.