So I typed up a handout to give them titled "Things to Revise" and I included the following. Now I'm asking for your help. Give me some other things writers do when they revise. Please remember that I teach third graders and we're not working on fiction yet. That said, feel free to share whatever. I can always not include it.
· Write new leads and choose the best one.
· Rewrite any areas that might be confusing.
· Add words that make sentences more clear.
· Name things—instead of “restaurant” say “Taco Joe’s.”
· Change tells to shows—instead of “I was mad,” write “I slammed my fist on the table.”
· Insert some dialogue.
· Make sure your dialogue is easy to follow. Who is talking?
· Make sure you don’t have parts that are nothing except dialogue. Insert small actions or facial expressions into your dialogue.
· Insert descriptions. Try some imagery. “The clouds looked like wisps of cotton, strewn across the sky.”
· Insert feelings or thoughts.
· Insert small actions.
· Word Choice—what word best describes it?
· Delete things that don’t belong in the story.
· Delete extra words that aren’t necessary.
· Rewrite your ending.
· Check paragraphing. What is most effective?
· Speed through unimportant parts.
· Slow way down during important parts—add lots of small details.
· Try a simile or metaphor to compare something—“He ate like a starving lion.”