Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Confounding John Green. Oh, and pirates! Arr!

So I think John Green has written something new. As far as I can tell, he's gone all Stephen King's The Plant on us and is releasing his new work a chapter at a time, for free, on the Webosphere. Unlike King, he is a.) not asking for donations of any kind and b.)making the reading of his new work rather cumbersome. You can read all about it here and if you know what the Helvetica he's talking about then would you please translate for the rest of us?

(Daily Affirmation: There is such a thing as too smart. Self, be thankful you are of middling intelligence.)

In other news...I have mentioned before how happy I am that pirates are making a comeback. I didn't know it was possible, but my happiness has reached a new level I shall call "near-euphoria." First, pirates, as a general rule, are awesome. (Yes, they would be more awesome if they at least tried to play the part by wearing eye-patches and saying "Arr" and possibly possessing hypnotic eyes that are somehow sleepy and intense at the exact same time, but you know what they say about beggars and choosing. Oh, and what's with the boats, Somali pirates? Can't you at least drape a jolly roger over the side?) But as far as I know it's been like 200 years since the U.S. got in on any pirate action. It's about time we had our turn. The U.S. navy versus pirates. You can't make stuff up this good.

Let's make this interactive, shall we?

Predict the next late-1600s fad to make a comeback.

I call "wigs that make men look like women."

3 comments:

Amber Lough said...

First of all, I agree with you about pirates, BUT we have been involved with them for quite a while. What I don't understand is why the heck do people sail their boats (or paddle or steam) right up alongside Somalia? Wouldn't swinging way out into the Indian Ocean and THEN going into the Persian Gulf take less time than hanging out on a life-boat with an AK pointed at your nose for two or three months/weeks?

If I had the time, I'd read this: http://www.routledge.com/0415953200

Unknown said...

I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing Black Death (The Plague) make a comeback. Nothing like shops and restaurants closing and people staying indoors for a few years while cartloads of bodies are wheeled through the streets.

Unknown said...

A note concerning my comment:

Though Black Death is an epidemic, it could certainly be faddish. You know, cool to have it, like losing your voice in middle school.